Traveling and vacationing is a rarity in our lives - but over my many trips I’ve developed a process that I think most of you can relate to :)
1. Figure out the dates…text everyone ferociously about your pending trip and revel in the ‘yays’s’ and ‘I can’t wait’s’.
2. Make all the bookings - this means airline (duh), hotels (if needed) and transportation (you’re an adult - just rent the car!). Post it all on Facebook. Be an attention monger.
3. Put it on your calendar. If needed, share the calendar with people you’re planning stuff with on your trip and those that might need to reach you while you’re away.
4. Make sure you bring up the time you’re taking off a few times a week to make my coworkers jealous. Also, make sure you’ve put it on the team calendar so as not to ‘surprise’ anyone (though how could it be - you haven’t shut up about it)!
5. Start thinking about all the things you want to do/people you want to see/places you want to eat. If you’ve visited before, make sure you factor in all the food places and shopping that aren’t available at home!
6. Plan your travel time entertainment. Music - if you think you might want to listen to it, sync it - there is nothing worse than not having the right song when you want it! Videos - be careful about content - Broadway Empire is awesome, but the kid in 20E probably shouldn’t be looking at all that nudity. Magazines - Take the People’s and the US Weekly’s and the OK’s - you know you’re not going to want to lug back the ‘good’ magazines if you end up taking them! Books - if you’re eBook enabled, sync a few options and make sure you’re charged up before boarding! If not, don’t pick something that’s part of a series (unless you bring them all with you)!
7. List out all the events/outings/change of clothes you’ll need. Factor in one lounging around outfit and one see and be seen outfit for each full day! Don’t forget the flight day outfit - it’s the best one!
8. Make a packing list based on list from 7. Tops, Bottoms, Shoes, PJ’s, Makeup, Misc. Try on outfit combos before packing away - account for vacation eating and sleeping habits that may slightly alter the way something looks on you. You know you’re not fat - but your eating regimen during vacation begs to differ!
9. Figure out what baggage you’re allowed to bring. If you can bring a carry-on for free, awesome! Create a packing system that condenses space and allows for ease of finding things when you need them!
10. Make/find a checklist of most commonly forgotten things. Here’s mine: Chargers for all your devices (don’t forget the devices), any meds you require/may require (Advil is a must!), printed/written out list of important numbers/emails (yes technology is awesome - but old school is more reliable), your keys to your car/apartment (because all vacations come to an end).
And now you’re ready to vacation - just don’t forget to have fun!